4/17/07

Up, Up, and Away...

And they're off! I just got back from the round trip drive to Denver International Airport. Getting up at 4 am just isn't my cup of tea anymore. It's downright frightening. It's raining today, but I think flights are flying in and out all right. It was hard saying good-bye to David. 12 days is a long time to be apart from him--especially during such an important time in our lives. We stayed up talking last night, just marveling at the crossroads we are at as a family. Miraculous!

Packing turned out to be a lot harder than anyone could imagine. You have to pack what you need, pack what you want, and then pack in case all of what you need and want gets lost somewhere over the Atlantic Ocean. We also tried to cram last minute toys and donations for the kids at the care center in Addis. If we exceeded the weight limit on our luggage, I guess that's David's problem now.

As I write this, David should be just finishing up the job interview the school district so stupidly scheduled for today. I know he just wanted to get it over and done with so he could look forward to his trip. I'm praying it went well for him, but mostly praying for safe travel and fun in Rome with his sister. Pray for me too! I now enter the realm of "single mom" until David returns. I have such a respect for the women in the world that raise their children on their own. They have the toughest jobs, hands down. At least I know my single status is temporary. Another temporary situation is a mom to 2. In 12 days, I'm a mom to 3--one of which will not speak a lick of English.

Life is amazing.

3 comments:

Stacy said...

ahhh Cathy FINALLY he's off! Before you know it your son will be home! I am so happy for you. I hope David and his sister have a wonderful experience. You take care of yourself during this time as you'll have someone else to focus on in a few short days!!! Stacy (Lucy's momma)

Kaitlyn said...

Ahhhh!!!!! I am sooooo happy for your family!!!!!
Heather

Unknown said...

Cathy, I just logged on this morning to check the progress to find the good news! I will be praying for you all during this time of transition. I can't wait to see pictures of your bigger family! Love Paige