7/24/07

More Camping
Am I a glutton for punishment or what? We took a few days to head to a state park in the mountains and just be a family. Camping will never be my favorite thing to do, but there are times when I can see the benefits. The fact that we live so close to so many great campsites. The fact that there is no TV. The fact that my kids play like crazy. Fresh air. Hikes. Bike riding.

So I make the most of it.

Yesterday we went to an old gold mining town and took a train ride. Zinabu about wet his pants he was so excited. He loved it. Of course I have no photos because sometimes I just want to enjoy the moment. He got to pull the whistle, and he was so happy to have a chance to see a train, let alone ride a train. Sometimes I look into his eyes--looking for glimpses of Ethiopia. This child that was born on the other side of the world and is now taking train rides on a family vacation. I have to pinch myself once in a while to be sure he's truly ours.

3 comments:

Courtney O. said...

where was the train ride? Sam would just about die he'd be so happy. It's all I can do to buy him train books, car books, you get the idea... he loves them!

Tarah said...

Cathy,
I am so with you. I think camping is great with the kids, but so would a lovely hotel with a pool and satin sheets! hee hee
The work to do the laundry getting home is rough. But, I can just imagine Zinabu with the train.

Chatter said...

That sounds like a lot of fun! Good for you for doing something for the fam even though you may not enjoy it as much. I love what you wrote at the end about Z. It gave me goosebumps.