12/30/08

When Life Gives You Lemons...
Right now, I am supposed to be in Denver, at a very swanky hotel, for a two-night getaway with my sweetie David. We'd planned it for a while and were very excited for the time with each other. We did not, however, plan for the root canal David needs that put the nix on our trip. Poor David is in so much pain, but his procedure is tomorrow so there's hope on the horizon. Once I realized we were stuck here, I had to plan to get the kids out of the house while David alternated between writhing in pain and passed out on vicodin.

Here I am combing the Internet for things to do in our hometown.


After a huge trip to the library (we usually check out 80 books at a time, no joke!) we went to one of our favorite toy stores. It is full of educational toys so they have them all on display where you can touch and experiment with them. Lily fell in love with the animal puppets and the kids put on some kind of crazy animal kingdom--where sharks and zebras cohabitate--play.


Carver's all-time favorite creature--the owl! Right after this Zinabu attacked me with a shark puppet.


Lily puts the bear and porcupine into submission.


We headed to a gymnastics gym in town for free play and my kids RAN AROUND FOR TWO STRAIGHT HOURS!!!! I would throw water bottles at them occasionally and pick foam out of Zinabu's curls when he zoomed by. My kids ran their little legs off! I have a good feeling about bedtime tonight. Ca-ching. The owner of the gym is from Russia, and she hollered at kids once in a while just to give the whole experience an Eastern-European/Bela Karolyi feel. Quite a nice effect.


Z in the huge foam pit. I only feared losing him two times.


The awesome bungee cords. Lily loves the flips.


A little blurry but you get the effect.
So even though I'm not on my mini-vacation with David, we had a fantastic day together. David would rather just wake up sometime in the next year and forget about this entire week. Depending on how much vicodin they give him, he might just get his wish!

9 comments:

Chatter said...

You are so stinking good at getting your kids out and about. Please send me some of your energy and ambition. I do not know why I dislike leaving the house so much. Once I'm out, I enjoy it but it's getting my foot out the door. I think some of it has to do with the fact that it takes an hour to get all my kids ready and supplies packed.

The gym looks so fun! And in case you didn't hear me the first time - I LOVE your hair!!

Mark and Sarah said...

I also love your hair! I noticed it in the zoo pix, and immediately oohed and ahhed over your highlights. Ooh lala.

So sorry you're not on your romantic getaway. That sucks. Sending prayers to your sweet David that he gets the tooth out asap and is pain free and that there is a raincheck for you va-kay.

Chatter said...

Should have said this earlier, but I hope David is feeling better and his recovery is speedy! Happy New Year's Eve!!

Anonymous said...

I loved your day! Can we please have a gym like that here in plain ole' Illinois?
Hope Unca Deeda feels terrific by now!

Stacy said...

looks like fun ... not as much fun as a romantic getaway but still! I think y'all should head back to Mpls ...

Deirdre said...

Poor David, but good mama! I want to go to that gymnastics place—sans kids, who would just get in the way.

Kari said...

I too am digging your hair-looks great!

What a cool gym for the kids to go play in. That rocks. Sorry you didn't get your vacation with your sweetie. I know how hard those are to come by. Any chance we are going to get you back up to Minneapolis/St. Paul for the picnic this year?!?!?!?!

Brooke said...

I love following your blog from time to time. Great ideas for getting out and about with the kiddos!

Christina said...

That gymnastics gym looks AMAZING!!! I want one!!!!