2/3/10

Well, isn't it just dandy that right after I posted my plan to perform acts of kindness throughout February I had a giant, emotional landmine explode in my face. Just a big ol' pile of yuck, splattered all over my life. That's how it is sometimes, but it sure made being kind to others the absolute LAST thing I wanted to think about. I'm going to have to slog through the next few days until I can get this issue worked out, so until then my kindness quota is nothing to brag about. But here's what I've done so far.

Feb. 1--Went to a meeting at school that evening. Once a month parents have the chance to meet with the principal to discuss concerns or raise questions. I had a few things on my mind I could have brought up, but instead I chose to zip my lip. After the meeting I approached the principal, gave her a big hug, and told her how much I appreciated her and all her hard work.

Feb. 2--It was Open House night at the middle school Carver will be attending. Parents got to come and meet some of the staff and go to a few break-out sessions to get information on classes, schedules, and volunteer opportunities. The place was packed, and every time I went to a new classroom, there were more people than chairs. I opted to stand the entire time and give up my seat for someone else. Not a big deal, but it was an act of kindness.

Feb. 3--The day is only half over, so I could still find other ways to be kind, but for now I am writing a sweet note to a distant relative who is elderly and mostly alone and who I know would love to hear from me. It will make her day, and it's pretty easy to write some kind words on a card and stick it in the mail.

So there you have it. Three days down, 25 to go. Hopefully I can shake off the funk I'm in and have a better attitude in the weeks to come.

5 comments:

Mark and Sarah said...

Sorry for the junk! Keep your chin up girly!

Vivi said...

Hope you're able to move through the bog and get back on the happy track. Not fun when something pulls the rug out from under us. Hugs.

Old Men Reflect said...

Got your note.....Thanks

cathy said...

ha!!!! old? you??? never.

jayme said...

I'm sorry that bad stuff happens to good people. Hopefully the kindness you're bestowing upon others will come back to you tenfold!