10/16/09

And So It Begins...

The Halloween costume drama. Let me first say that I love Halloween. I love a society that says to its children "dress up and visit your neighbors and get free candy!" What could be better than that? We fondly remember Zinabu's first Halloween. He was still mastering English, having only been with us for 6 months, and he was floored that you could ring a doorbell, say a few words, and candy would be bestowed upon you. He thought the whole event was too good to be true. I'm not big on scary costumes, because they usually completely cover your child's face and you can't see who the little cherub is under there. I LOVE when my kids create their own dress-up ideas. Do you remember last year? Lily was a "bug worker at the zoo" and she wore a khaki vest and baseball cap, to which she attached her own drawings of insects. Not the most popular costume on the block, but unique and creative. The problem I encounter each year is that my kids' creativity runs wild and every hour--sometimes every minute--they change their minds about what they want to be. At some point I have to give my kids a deadline and tell them they have to decide on their costume so we can actually start creating it. I'm thinking this weekend is going to be our deadline. Here's what's on the table so far:

A dog that can fly. A hairy dog. A pumpkin. A cat. A knight. A werewolf. An eagle. A superhero. A dog walker. A cat. A skateboarder. The headless horseman (great, Carver, like I can really pull that off). A bear...

and it goes on and on.

2 comments:

Courtney O. said...

I love halloween too. Last year I had to work on Halloween night so I am excited to be with the kids this year. Brooklyn gets a Halloween party at school that she gets to dress up at school.. .. she thinks that's the best thing ever!

Vivi said...

I actually dislike Halloween - I think it's creepy. But my family loves it, so I buck up and get into it too. Your kids' costume ideas are awesome - can't wait to hear what the final verdicts are!