This has certainly been an interesting weekend: Lily's birthday party (let us not speak of it) and Lily's birthday. And last night was prom for David's high school. I have always gotten out of going with him, but I hardly saw the man this week and I figured some time with him at a high school dance was better than no time with him at all. So after getting the kids ready for bed, I met him at the hotel where the prom was being held.
Wow. I had forgotten all the insecurities and angst and hormones of high school. And the fact that the girls all look 25 and the boys look 12. And how totally unfair that most high school girls have bigger boobs than me.
David is an incredible administrator. He doesn't hang out in the lobby, barking at kids or acting disinterested. We spent the entire night in the ballroom, next to the dance floor. He mingled with the students and chatted with them. They love him.
Prom night will be a part of my life for the next several years: as long as David will be principal. I might have to invest in a fancy dress. My favorite highlights:
- I knew a third of the music. Seriously impressed with myself.
- Getting our picture taken with the photographer. David made me laugh so hard I about wet my pants. I'll be sure to post the picture when we get it.
- The energy frenzy. Those kids danced non-stop for almost 4 hours.
- Watching all the white boys try to dance to rap.
- The girl with Down Syndrome who was there with her date and lit up when she spoke to us.
- The relief that I am not in high school anymore. Seriously. I enjoyed high school, but the drama... Thanks but no thanks.
Next year I will remember my camera.