Some amazing things happened this week:
1. Zinabu's Certificate of Citizenship for the United States of America came in the mail. In some states you wait up to 6 months for them to issue that certificate, but I guess here in Colorado the Department of Homeland Security is having a slow season. I mailed our application in 2 weeks ago. Amazing. I wish I could describe the feelings of joy and relief that washed over me when the mail carrier rang my doorbell and had me sign for the document. I am so, so relieved. No more waking up in a cold sweat at night, remembering that I have to get this done. It's done!
2. One of my kids began taking an anti-depressant. I write those words and I think, "Is this my life? Has it really come to this?" Indeed it has. The doctor we saw this week confirmed what we suspected--and what the counselor suggested--that our kiddo suffers from anxiety, a little OCD, and because of that some mood disorders. Amazing that what we thought had been years of strong-willed behavior turned out to be brain chemistry. We are starting with a super low dose and seeing if this brand works with our kid's brain. I am so excited to think they could begin having relief from being anxious a lot of the time. As hard as it is for me to be in this place--this place of diagnosis and medicine and therapy and rough days--there are far, far, far worse things we could be struggling with.
3. I was with two separate groups of moms yesterday and I heard two blatantly racist comments. The first group of women I had a lot in common with. The second group of women I had almost nothing in common with except that we all have children and we love them very much. I was floored at their ignorance, their snobby-ness, their superiority.
4. My friend Sarah rocks this world. 5 for 5 has raised over $20,000 for famine relief in east Africa. And she was featured in the Huffington Post. Read it! I'm praying the publicity spreads and we make it to $50,000 by the end of September. If you already gave, thank you! If you haven't, what are you waiting for?
5. In one month I will have a teenager. Let us not speak of this any more.
6. Last night we went to the first high school football game of the season. It is officially fall.
7. I called the IRS to find out about the status of our refund. You know the one. The one we filed for back in February? After waiting on hold, they were able to tell me they haven't even looked at our paperwork yet. I can expect another 60 day wait before they tell me anything, and it could very well be that they tell me to wait some more.
8. Despite all my best efforts, I am amazed at how many times I still fail as a mom. And despite all my failures, I am amazed at how sweetly and deeply my kids love me. I am amazingly blessed.